About the Competition
The competition is organized by the Project Management Institute Hong Kong Chapter (PMIHK) (https://www.pmi.org.hk/) to train and develop young project managers, and to bring awareness and knowledge of best practices in project management to the students and the public. Participating students will be offered training on project management and seminars with topics on digital technologies, trends and use cases of these technologies in various industries.
The pandemic has accelerated the disruption of many industries. Some industries are in need of new ways (business model, process, people, and technology) to do business. For this competition, students will play a consulting role to apply critical analysis, problem-solving, and project management skills to propose a digital project that could help companies in a particular industry transform and improve their business outcomes. Students need to demonstrate their business acumen and understanding of the relevant knowledge, methodologies and principles in project management in the competition.
The awards will be given to teams whose project plans demonstrate the most effective use of project management, and the most significant potential benefits and outcomes to the end-users in projects that provide transformative changes using digital technologies.
Sample Project Industry Sectors
- Financial /consultancy Services
- eCommerce / Retail
- Property Management
How to Participate
- Eligibility: All full-time postgraduate, undergraduate or higher diploma students of all disciplines, who are enrolled in universities/institutions in Hong Kong.
- Form a team of 4-5 students.
- Complete and submit your “Intent-to-Compete” application using the application form (click “Here”).
- The team needs to have members participate in the training workshops and share the knowledge with the members who could not attend the workshops. Non-participating members should document their learning (from the members who attended the training) in a reflective journal.
- Submit the business case and your completed mini-project management plan to email@example.com according to the timeline below (templates will be provided)
- Short-listed teams will be invited to give presentations to the judging panel.
The award consists of two stages. The first stage is the written submission mentioned above, and the second stage requires all finalists to present to a panel of judges.
- Registration will be closed at 5:00pm 29 January 2024 : Registration deadline for Intend-to-Compete
- 17 February 2024 One-day training workshop including (1) Project Management Principle; (2) Industry knowledge sharing related to Project Management
- 8 March 2024 : Deadline for submitting Business Case and mini-Project Management Plan
- 23 March 2024: Short-listed teams’ presentations to judges (1st round). Presentation slides need to be submitted by 20 March 2024.
- By mid-April 2024 : Winning teams in Hong Kong will receive digital copies of the certificates and cash prizes
- 1 June 2024: The winning team from Hong Kong and 3 other teams from South Korea, Taiwan, and Mongolia will conduct presentations to judges (Final round). Presentation slides need to be submitted by 20 May 2024.
- By mid-June 2024 : Winning teams will receive digital copies of the certificates and cash prizes
- November 2024 : The Champion team has a chance to present the winning business case on the PMI Congress Day in Hong Kong or other region.
Seminars and Workshops
- Workshop on project management principle
- Covers basics of project management: Relevant knowledge from some of the knowledge areas (project initiation, project scope management, project schedule management, project cost management, project resource management, project quality management, project risk management, and stakeholder & communication management)
- How to work effectively in a group
- Seminar on industry sharing related to project management and their use cases.
- Social and business benefits of the idea
- The creativity of the idea
- Project Management Application
- The applicability of project management methodology, knowledge, and tools
- The projected potential outcomes of the project
- Technology application
- The applicability of the technology, and the creativity and feasibility of the application
- The cohesiveness of the case
- How relevant is the case be applied (to address the problems or opportunities identified)
- How the plan shows consistency to increase the success rate of the project if implemented.
- Cash prizes (1st round) – Hong Kong Chapter only
- Best Project HK$5,000
- Distinction Project HK$3,000
- Merit HK$2,000
- The teams above will receive certificates issued by Project Management Institute Hong Kong, and all team members will become PMI and Hong Kong chapter student members.
- The winning team with Best Project from each PMI chapters (Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, and Mongolia) will participate the final round of the Case Competition.
- Prizes (Final round) – Hong Kong, South Korea, Mongolia and Taiwan chapters
- Champion | Presentation opportunity in Regional Congress & PMI certificate training coupon
- 1st runner-up & 2nd runner-up | PMI certificate training coupon
- Merit Project | PMI certificate training coupon
All contestants who complete the basic competition requirements will receive
- Letter of Appreciation / Certificate
- One complimentary ticket to PMI Hong Kong Chapter Seminar in 2024
About Project Management Institute
PMI has a history of over 50 years and is the world’s leading association for project, program and portfolio management profession.
PMI offers eight certifications that recognize knowledge and competency, including the Project Management Professional (PMP)® certification – renowned as the global gold standard. PMP is a competency-based certification which assesses the integrated set of knowledge, skills and abilities as gained from both practical and learned experiences. Salaries and career opportunities for PMPs show that employers recognize the value delivered by trained practitioners.