With more than 570,000 Global Members and over 300 Local Chapters internationally, Project Management Institute (PMI) is the leading membership association for the project management profession. PMI is actively engaged in advocacy for the profession, setting professional standards, conducting research and providing access to a wealth of information and resources. PMI also promotes career and professional development and offers certification, networking and community involvement opportunities.
For around 50 years, PMI has advanced the careers of practitioners who make project management indispensable for business results.
PMI was founded in 1969 by five forward-thinking individuals who understood the value of networking, sharing process information and discussing common project problems. After their first official meeting in October of that year at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, the group officially incorporated the association in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, USA.
PMI has grown to become the global advocate for the project management profession with more than 570,000 members in over 200 countries. And with over 910,000 individuals hold the Project Management Professional (PMP)®credential, making it the most widely recognized – and the only global – certification in the profession.
2019 by the Numbers
- More than 10,000 volunteers from every region of the world and growing.
- Over 910,000 Project Management Professional (PMP)®–certified professionals, more than half live outside the USA 1 in 6 live in China.
- More than 570,000 members from 208 countries and territories, served by 302 chartered and 5 potential chapters.
- There are more than 6 million copies of all editions (including official translations into more than 10 languages) of A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) in circulation.
- Pulse of the Profession® research reports are available on PMI.org in multiple languages.
Click here to learn more about PMI.
PMP is a registered trademark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.