About the Competition
The competition is organized by the Project Management Institute Hong Kong Chapter (PMIHK) (https://www.pmi.org.hk/) to train and develop young project managers, and to bring awareness and knowledge of best practices in project management to the students and the public. Participating students will be offered training on project management and seminars with topics on digital technologies, trends and use cases of these technologies in various industries.
The pandemic has accelerated the disruption of many industries. Some industries are in need of new ways (business model, process, people, and technology) to do business. For this competition, students will play a consulting role to apply critical analysis, problem-solving, and project management skills to propose a digital project that could help companies in a particular industry transform and improve their business outcomes. Students need to demonstrate their business acumen and understanding of the relevant knowledge, methodologies and principles in project management in the competition.
The awards will be given to teams whose project plans demonstrate the most effective use of project management, and the most significant potential benefits and outcomes to the end-users in projects that provide transformative changes using digital technologies.
Sample Project Industry Sectors
- Financial /consultancy Services
- eCommerce / Retail
- Property Management
Seminars and Workshops
- Project Management
- Artificial Intelligence
- Big Data
- Cloud and IoT
- Industry-Specific Businesses and Eco systems
How to Participate
- Eligibility: All full-time undergraduate or postgraduate students of all disciplines, who are enrolled in universities in Hong Kong.
- Form a team of 3-6 students.
- Complete and submit your “Intent-to-Compete” application using the application form (click “Here” ) to email@example.com.
- The team needs to have members participate in the training workshops and share the knowledge with the members who could not attend the workshops. Non-participating members should document their learning (from the members who attended the training) in a reflective journal.
- Submit the business case and your completed mini-project management plan to firstname.lastname@example.org according to the timeline below (templates will be provided)
- Short-listed teams will be invited to give presentations to the judging panel.
The award consists of two stages. The first stage is the written submission mentioned above, and the second stage requires all finalists to present to a panel of judges.
- Registration will be closed at 12:00pm 23 November 2021 : Registration deadline for Intend-to-Compete
- 18 Dec & 8 January 2022 : Seminars and workshops
- 12 February 2022 : Deadline for submitting Business Case and mini-Project Management Plan
- By end of March 2022: Short-listed teams’ presentations to judges. Presentation slides need to be submitted by 10 March 2022.
- By end of April 2022 : Winning teams receive digital copy of the certificates and cash prizes
- November/December 2022 : Award presentations on PMI HK Congress Day
Seminars and Workshops
1. Workshop on project management
- Covers basics of project management: Relevant knowledge from some of the knowledge areas (project initiation, project scope management, project schedule management, project cost management, project resource management, project quality management, project risk management and stakeholder & communication management)
- How to work effectively in a group
2. Seminars on AI, big data, cloud, IoT technologies and their use cases, as well as sessions from selected industry speakers
- Social and business benefits of the idea
- The creativity of the idea
- Project Management Application
- The applicability of project management methodology, knowledge, and tools
- The projected potential outcomes of the project
- Technology application
- The applicability of the technology, and the creativity and feasibility of the application
- The cohesiveness of the case
- How relevant is the case be applied (to address the problems or opportunities identified)
- How the plan shows consistency to increase the success rate of the project if implemented.
Best Project Manager
- The manager who takes care of the triple constraint (scope, time and cost) and quality
- The manager who demonstrates leadership skills and promotes teamwork
- The manager who excels in the following:
- Project Stakeholder Management
- Project Risk Management
- Project Communication Management
All contestants will receive a complimentary ticket to PMI HK Asia Pacific Project Management Congress 2021 (value at HKD1,288).
- Cash prizes
- Best Project HKD$5,000
- Distinction Project HKD$3,000
- Merit HKD$1,000
- Best Project Manager HKD$1,000
- Certificates issued by Project Management Institute Hong Kong
- Invitation to award ceremony in PMI Hong Kong Chapter Annual Congress 2022
- Free ticket to PMI Hong Kong Chapter Annual Congress 2022
All contestants who complete the basic competition requirements will receive
- Letter of Appreciation / Certificate
- One complimentary ticket to PMI Hong Kong Chapter Seminar in 2022
Any enquiries, please contact us at 2784 1880 or email@example.com.
About Project Management Institute
PMI has a history of over 50 years and is the world’s leading association for project, program and portfolio management profession.
PMI offers eight certifications that recognize knowledge and competency, including the Project Management Professional (PMP)® certification – renowned as the global gold standard. PMP is a competency-based certification which assesses the integrated set of knowledge, skills and abilities as gained from both practical and learned experiences. Salaries and career opportunities for PMPs show that employers recognize the value delivered by trained practitioners.